Wednesday, September 19, 2012

WAKING HOURS by Lis Wiehl *****

This is called "An East Salem Novel" which suggests many more are involved. I happened to like this one a lot but I wouldn't go running out to read a similar book because I just read this one, I don't like reading series, I don't like reading the same type story over and over.

It has a psychiatrist out to figure out who murdered some high school girl one night and more than one person was involved. Lots of interviews with high school students and finding evidence, sending it out waiting for results. Meanwhile an old high school football player (personally they did nothing for me) secretly has been in love with her and he joins up while he's getting a PI license to help her out tackling trouble whenever it shows up.

There are people in love not having sex in the book, lots of that. Apparently this is something in the Twilight novels that this author reveres so she has it in her books as well.

There are some really disturbed people in the book, some have overcome their past, others are causing trouble now. While there is evil in a person there's also an angel around to help or give hints or dreams or whatever. Mr. stud muffin in chains and leather. So there's some religious (non specific) stuff involved probably due to the 'Salem' aspect of the story. Not much else describes this town in Massachusetts to me but I only lived next door in NH so why would I know anything when the authors are from NY. I have also been to Salem which is a quaint little town with brick houses, I didn't see any angels running around. There are very few descriptions of any real Salem settings.

Still I guess for younger people this would be a very good read, it's not looking to go further than a teenager I don't think; so in that respect you'd want your kid to read it...maybe I don't know...depends on how you feel about angels etc.

I thought it was well written, good pace, intriguing story line and different from most other novels so I 5 starred it.

No comments:

Post a Comment