Monday, July 29, 2013

IMMORTAL by Dean Crawford ***

I'm being generous with the third star. This has a cast of hundreds and CIA, FBI, DIA, blah blah. So Saffron is an activist fighting with grampaw over a company wanting to bump off the general population and let a few bazillionaires live forever from a fountain of youth discovered by some cowboys during the Civil War in the AZ desert 1862 or something. The fountain is made from bat shit and moss etc growing in a Carlsbad Cavern pool.

This is a complicated twisty spy vs spy thoroughly confusing story. I would put it down, the page I was on would get lost and I'd pick it up someplace in the general area and keep reading. I could easily edit 60 pages out of this monster. Lots of boring stuff (explanations of things) and/or repetition.

You have the hero Ethan Warner (almost always called "ETHAN") his work partner Nicola Lopez (almost always called "LOPEZ") and they're on the case from Alaska to Santa Fe to wherever to figure out who's trying to kill who and why. Where are the civil war guys living almost 200 yrs and how? That's their mission.

Why the fuck does the YET AGAIN BRIT WRITER use one guys' first name throughout the novel and everyone else's last name? Sometimes he calls him Warner and I can't figure out who the fuck that is, or he calls Lopez by her first name Nicola and again I'm confused. Just give me a fricking black marker and I'll KISS. Geez. What a nightmare of places, names, acronyms and fighting. Not a big fan. Best I can say is at least no one drank any frickin tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment