Thursday, April 20, 2017

IQ by Joe Ide ***

The things I don't like about the novel are 1) chapters change from 2006 to 2013 when least expected, It was totally incoherent to me. 2) Most of the characters are gang bangers with the same language, clothing and attitude which is kind of wearing after a bit. 3) Didn't like the explanation for how fighting dogs "win titles" like champion lines-that actually means the winning dog survived and perhaps the losing dog did not. Otherwise he got a lot of basic facts correct about Pit Bulls.

I liked some of the story line but still got confused with so many similar characters one guy out to kill another guy, a self taught PI??? That possible? I never knew if he was using nicknames, first names or last names. Throws me off a lot. So I had to keep going back to the beginning of each chapter if I put the book down for any length of time to figure out who the FK he was writing about.

Also tons of 'must have flashback" type interruptions of the tell not show variety. Got sick of being halted in my story line to read about some new guy's meager history.

In general if I was forced to read it again I would only pretend. I'm not done but the book is being returned after 290 pages of confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment