Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DOGS DON'T LIE by Clea Simon ***

The title is off because it's mostly about cats. This 'person' can talk to animals...sort of. I wouldn't say talk to, I'd say hear one or two repetitious non-critical comments. There's a murder, a dog is blamed and kept quarantined at the animal control while Nosy Parker Pru goes around getting half sentences, partial stories, and non information from other people and animals to solve the case.

So many times I'm confused: Blahblah...cradling the hot china made me as mellow as Wallis in the the sun. I pretended to take a sip and smiled some more, trying to remember just which flower had that same shade of blue. WTF??? WHAT blue??? Again: Blahblah..my student loans had, reasonably, disappeared when I dropped my classes in midterm without explanation blahblah....HOW do school loans disappear?? Did she pay them? Did someone else pay them? Did she declare bankruptcy? What? WTF?? Again: "Delia, I'm so sorry." I could feel the flush grow in my cheeks. If only I hadn't let that damned thrush distract me." HUH? Thrush? Where? When? On what page? WTF??? AGAIN: blahblah...Mack called me a bit after eight. I mean, I like attention too. "Hey doll." There was a warmth in his voice that I didn't quite trust, "Good to hear from you."(HE SAYS) WTF? HE called HER. What is 'good to hear from her'?? WHEN? HOW? WTF???? This is endemic to the entire novel. Confused, disjointed, cut off wherever, unfinished thoughts and it sounds like good medication but so-so story telling.

It feels like 14 people are writing the story. One person starts a paragraph, someone else writes the next one and so on and so on. It isn't by any means flowing and easy to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment