Friday, August 10, 2012

OFF THE GRID by P.J. Tracy ***

I thought the book moved rather fast, lots of characters without a protagonist, really. Most of the time you are left wondering why. Why why why. Or how. I don't think it sucks but it's not the best book I ever read. Lots of unexplained stuff goes on that you wait for answers to and don't get.

So the main character, I assume, is Grace MacBride but just about everyone in the story gets as much or more copy so I wouldn't swear to that. Supposedly she runs a computer company called Monkeewrench Software. What it does, I don't know. Designs firewalls? I don't know who they sell to. An FBI friend, John uses the software, switches it all around so not even a genius can figure it out then deciphers incoming bad people messages and learns where people live who are involved in human trafficking or are going to have a "mob" scene killing spree on Halloween.  And somehow broadcasts that info.

While Grace is out with her friend John on a sailboat enjoying nothing much 2 guys creep aboard and try to kill John. John acts all stupid like "I don't have any idea why I have enemies." Stupid ass has been decoding all the locations of murderers and sending to the FBI, think that might be it, ass?

One of Graces friends, Annie goes to work in a frickin feather dress? WTF is that? Bunch of hens get plucked before dinner and turned into a frickin dress? She's on a shootout in this rare and idiotic item.

Some Native American cop gets involved which involves tribe members who also were marines or in the service after some of the rez kids got kidnapped which is where dying Joe with cancer (also somehow involved) kills the kidnappers, moves along to a house full of bomb explosives and guns then gets shot after killing the people living there. Somalis I believe. He's happy he didn't die of the cancer. No one ever sees these poor kidnapped kids again, or their families. No concern there I guess.

Meanwhile at the end they're all hunkered around some cabin, natives in the trees or deer stands if you will, others in the house to fight off .... gee I don't really know who. People who think they ruined Halloween? I guess. And Mr.Brilliant John (remember went on the sailboat with Grace), says he'll watch the kitchen little darlin' and for her to go into the liv. room with the feather-dress girl. So Grace asking no questions goes along to get along and John the brilliant runs out the back door, gets shot immediately and bleeds to death before Grace figures out that John must have gone outside instead of protecting the house and his friends like he should have. Bye John.

I thought it moved along ok, can't understand how who knew what or why and how come this all took place to begin with. Lots of feather references. FBI were all over everything but never happened to be anywhere important until after people were all killed.
I read too much.




No comments:

Post a Comment