Thursday, February 6, 2014

VELOCITY by Dean Koontz *****

Since I enjoy reading Dean Koontz so much I decided to look in the older sections of the library for maybe some books I missed reading at some point in my life. I had believed I read them all but found two I have not and maybe more if I go back and look.

This one was very eerie and dark. A bartender named Billy Wiles had a 'different' childhood than most and was adopted by another family. His step brother, much older than he, was a policeman. Not a very good one really.

In town some artists are making a performance art mural they're going to burn at some time in the future. Billy begins finding notes and body parts. These notes suggest his wife, barely alive on a hospital bed, being fed by a tube was poisoned by soup and won millions of dollars for her care. So Billy worries that someone who had decided to attack his life is going to kill her. The first thing entering his mind is what most cops say "follow the money" and he does without finding anyone suspicious.

In a round about way he does discover who is tormenting him, but doesn't realize till the very end that he had help. It's up to Billy to keep himself from becoming a suspect, to keep his wife alive, to figure out who the killer is and to end it all for the sake of his sanity.

Fast moving writing, excellent character descriptions and a really good tale. I would buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment