Sunday, June 29, 2014

NATCHEZ BURNING by Greg Iles ***

This is a historical type novel of fiction based on crap that happened in the 60s with RFK shot, JFK shot, blacks hung, skinned alive etc., by KKK etc. So the town Nachez is in Mississippi. The entire novel was probably done better by Harper Lee with To Kill A Mockingbird. It's in the same vein but over populated, so much so I don't even care who I'm reading about.

The novel presents the Double Eagle's club comprised of racist killers in the town. Sort of an offshoot with more vainglorious goals to kill all the liberals in politics that want equality in the USA.

It's so repetitive, I always think, "Didn't I already read this?" That's due to the repetition ;). There is so much of it, it really takes away from the story which bores me half the time.  Sure a lot of people are killed someone's doctor father is in lots of KKK pictures and the kid (in his 40s?) is having a hard time trying to figure out why because now the Docs ex-nurse Viola (who was raped and beaten by the Double Eagles group) birthed one of their children who has no idea who his daddy be.

Viola left town after the rape, all the blacks who wanted retribution for her rape disappeared. So that about sums it up. The Double Eagles are still around as old men.


I think the story is told during the "60s" and again during the present which is why I hate it so much.

I gave it a good shot reading past 250 pages but I just don't want to deal with the town of names and surprising amount of evil characters performing evil related or not related. This book has many holds on it at the library so a lot of people want to read it. My advice is try not to read in bed cuz if the book falls on your head it's going to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment