Monday, August 29, 2011

SILENT MERCY by Linda Fairstein ***

Hard to focus on a centerpoint of the novel. It wanders back and forth from decapitation, cop house flirtations, bad girls having sex then turning it into rape. Lots and lots of speculation enough to make me crazy. Shit like this bores me: blahblah "the sculpture garden," I said. My mother Maude raised on a dairy farm in Mass by her Scandinavian parents was confirmed in the Episcopalian Church blahlblahblah you lost my interest. This "losing interest" thing just happens to me on almost every page, or at least every 3 pages. I skip a lot of crap.

Half the time I can't tell if her "French" boyfriend is in the bedroom with her or she's on the phone or somehow spirited him into her room while she's on the phone with someone else. He confuses me as much as she does.

I find it verbose, slow, tedious. Not focused enough for me, too many characters non-distinctive at best.
I don't know the story I'm supposed to be caring about. Headless females, gangs interviews, churches, priests and/or religion, her interactions at the station, partners, whatever. I don't really care. I'm tossed from wave to wave on the whim of the writer and lost interest pages ago and I'm not half thru it. Not sure I'll finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment