Saturday, January 11, 2014

FIRST PHONE CALL FROM HEAVEN by Mitch Albom ***

I was ok with reading this, but it was so monotonous that sometimes I didn't feel like finishing it but I did for the ending. I wanted to see how it ended.

Several people from town get phone calls allegedly from friends or relatives who passed away. The voice was truly the voice of each caller. Eventually this little town makes headlines all over the world for the phone calls from the dead. Very few words were spoken. This is where it became repetitious for me. The words spoken are supposedly coming from heaven were simple sentences, like "tell everyone" and "I am happy so don't worry" and this is the entire book.

One guy who lost his wife and ended up in jail right afterwards, but served less than a year I think. He doesn't get any phone calls and spends a lot of time trying to discover the person fooling everyone. He succeeds but does hear from his wife.

People who heard from a dead person all ended up happier for the experience even tho it was a hoax. It was done in the spirit of helping people.

I thought the story line was ok, but think doubt would be a lot more prevalent than it was in the book. It's a small book, goes quickly, it's not horrid or anything. I just wasn't crazy about it. What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment