Wednesday, February 17, 2010

BAD THINGS by Michael Marshall *

The book claims to be 'twisting relentlessly thrilling...blahblah' but while reading I keep drifting off. Why; I wondered. Well lets start with the writer's sentences wandering away from point. Instead of saying "he led me outside thru this door" you get "it's the entry you'd enter if you went out with a drink before coming in for dinner"  He says "someone made a meal of having his things around." Writer cannot focus, he drifts around like a feather. Other quotes "socked-away state" of mind? Of place? "fixed him a holding snack" Huh? Someone else "saw the sun come up but wasn't awake for it" whatever that does for the writer it sends me off into WTF land.


Lead character has an email address that is so old it is 'dead line' and he reads the email from there. WHY is he even checking it if it's DEAD? The connections in writer's mind have shorted out. His writing has lot of rambling nonsense which pulls me right out of the story.  Very tedious because I have to back up all the time or trip over his oddball sentences.


If I were the editor I'd have cleaned out about 1/3 of this crap I have to wade around in. If I don't drown in the muck I'll continue.


I drowned. Finished the book but WTF? I have no idea what that was all about. Something about 100s of years, the woods, odd scents, shootings, spells on people...but nothing was ever made clear. As disappointing as The Blair Witch Project. You really think you're reading a book of substance but it's all smoke and mirrors. I barely understand the connections of people never mind the basic story line. The characters are all dopes. Surprised and shocked this guy gets published.


Sorry I wasted my time.



No comments:

Post a Comment