Monday, February 22, 2010

JUST TAKE MY HEART by Mary Higgins Clark ***

Well I'm getting thru the 'mystery' that's not so mysterious but is typical for this writer. I don't read much of her stuff because to ME it seems simplified, as if she were writing for a teen. I know she's very popular and her writing style is easy to read thru.

It flows along well enough with tons of repetition (good for falling asleep, she keeps reminding you of stuff over and over), then I get to the accused in court being tried for his wife's murder, he was on the stand admitting for the first time to anyone how he peered into the window of his wife's house. Now why would he offer up that bit of info, which is embarrassing, when it wasn't necessary and no one saw him? If he was the killer, the prosecutor has good reason to wonder why he just admitted that- AND in court, as opposed to the rest of the time, lead character is the biggest meanest bitch. Otherwise she seems almost normal.

From the title, and the fact this murder and the prosecutor's heart transplant occur at the same time, I haven't gotten to the 'surprise' yet. I wonder what it will be...

It's a quick read and entertaining if nothing else. This killer likes to try new things, (unlike real serial killers) and has predominantly killed his wives by gunshot or strangling. Now totally out of his MO -untrue to reality- he's stalking a stranger and I have no clue why. 


A criminal 'witness' gets his sentence significantly reduced for his testimony. I was on a murder jury and believe me they give convicts NOTHING for testifying except the pleasure of being out of jail for the day and a better lunch. If they got lowered sentences they'd all fabricate testimony to all sorts of stuff and the courts would be surrounded by barbed wire to keep them all in.


Killer wants to kill a neighbor old lady, here's how it goes down, spontaneously, no prep: First floor window is conveniently already open, it leads to a bathroom next to the living room and the door is conveniently closed, the lady has the TV volume up high cuz she's conveniently deaf and the bathroom door conveniently opens up right behind her frickin chair...WOW
See? Simplistic.


I see absolutely NO motivation for this killer to stalk and want to kill the main character. I have no idea why and author isn't telling. Why does he hate her so much when she's a total stranger to him (far as I know) and I'm at the very end of the book. He's being chased by all law enforcement right now and is hanging around specifically to kill her (with no plan) and if things all fall into place conveniently as it does everywhere else she should be dead in a few pages. But I'm sure she'll prove to be more difficult to kill for some simplistic reason.


I read it. That counts for something!





No comments:

Post a Comment