Friday, September 21, 2012

BECKON by Tom Pawlik ****

Pretty fast paced novel with likable characters all trying to survive after discovering either a cave or being lured to live in the mansion of a guy who has access to an underground cave of secrets. Seems some alien life forms have lived in the caves for 100s of years and are proficient at keeping other people alive with a substance they can't stray too far from due to needing it daily but they never grow old and are difficult to kill.

I thought it was ok, I really liked some characters and didn't like to see them die while others I couldn't wait for them to get killed off. Page turning, a little tiny bit religious but I liked one sentence quoted by Walter M. Miller Jr. "You don't have a soul. You are a soul...you have a body." I thought that was profound and really like it.

Not a long hard to follow book so I gave it 4 stars. Good reading, takes you on  a trip and you see inside another person's imagination. Exactly what writing should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment