Thursday, September 6, 2012

SPILLED BLOOD by Brian Freeman *****

I thought this was a great read and the author made me stay up at night reading when I should have been trying to fall asleep. Lots of tension, twists, turns and at the end of each chapter you got a shove forward to the next one. That's why I couldn't put the damn thing down.
I liked most of the characters, if he wanted me to like Olivia I didn't, but most of the others in the story I either liked or the personality was filled out enough not to like them. A bully is a bully and Mr. Freeman can create some powerful ones.

The town is broken because science caused cancer to some victims, mostly children and the protagonists' wife as well. A nutso scientist put some chemicals in the water that went into the homes of people downriver. It was a cancer cluster, more could have been written about some of the victims to make them more real but the one or two were just barely enough to keep you reading. So a court case was tampered with and the company found innocent making it all the more tragic for everyone.

There's a mysterious note writer named Aquarius and in the end he creates a lot of destruction.
I didn't like to see Lenny killed, because he was redeemable and cared for Olivia. Maybe he was a little off but growing up without parents and having a bully-brother contributed to his personality. I think author was too quick to kill him off instead of finding a more satisfying ending for him. Not one person liked the poor guy and he tried hard to be ok but the author made him go in a worse direction so his death wouldn't seem all that bad but I thought he got a bad deal there. JMO

All in all it was a very good read, would buy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment