Sunday, December 2, 2012

1 LAST THING BEFORE I GO by Tropper ***

This is a story about a one hit wonder drummer who is divorced and has a daughter. He lives in sort of a motel with other losers who are also divorced and lonely. He's pretty lonely and pathetic. Apparently once the music world has dropped everything to hear your every word then suddenly you're like a normal person-- life sucks. No duh.

Some of the loneliness stuff I liked because I'm like that and it felt real to me esp on page 227 when he describes it to his ex. But he pretty much screws anyone, for any reason, then just before his ex wife is to remarry he screws her too. I can't use the term make love for anything he does with a woman. He screws them. He's not really a very nice person and I don't at any point have any empathy for him at all. He's a sad sack loser. He thinks he's a nice guy and he has warm happy thoughts while screwing women but he doesn't do anything for me that makes me think he GAS.

So while he's lonely and waiting for his life to go back to the way it was; married in a house with his teenage daughter, he finds out he's going to die. Does he want to live? A little stent will save him. He sure takes his sweet time figuring that out, most of the book really.

So it's easy to read, easy to follow, some repetitive religious family stuff quite a bit of it actually but it's not a bad library find. Interesting enough not to toss away in favor of something else. Not bad, not great-my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment